We greet you all in the name of Olodumare, Orunmila and all other Orisa. We also extend the greetings of Araba Agbaye Olu-Isese, the Permanent Chairman of the Council of Araba/Oluwo, to you all in this season of the World Ifa Festival. With combine efforts of Board of Ethics and Scripture and the Council of Elders of ICIR, we the members of Publication Committee of the Oke-Itase 2020/2021 Organizing Committee set up by the International Council for Ifa Religion are hereby presenting verses of the Ifa of the year recited with inspiration by the priests on the mat in the early hour of Sunday, 7th June, 2020, which stands as the first day of the year in Ifa calendar system. The Odu Ifa that came out for this year is OGBEOTURA (Ogbe on the right, Otura on the left). The Odu advises us to guide against death and ebo is recommended to avert it. In addition to the priests who were physically present, other Ifa Priests from Nigeria, Republic of Benin, Republic of Togo, Ghana, Brazil, Trinidad and Tobago, Germany, United States of America, Venezuela, Cuba, Argentina, Panama, Britain, Switzerland and Sweden were all allowed to make their contributions.
The verses of OGBEOTURA recited with their narratives are below: 1. Ifa says people should stop oppressing others based on religious affinity, colour or race. It is advised that oppressed group should make ebo to be free. Sacrifice for emancipation from oppression is needed this year. Those who are at the fore front of struggle for freedom must make ebo to fortify and protect themselves. With necessary sacrifice and determination, the victory is assured. The items of ebo include one he-goat, small knife, Ifa leaves, pap, palm oil and money. On this, Ifa says: Jala Awo Eresun-un A difa fun Yerepe O maa gba ara re Yoo si gba igi oko Osan pon ooo Yerepe a ku
Jala Awo Eresun-un Cast Ifa for Yerepe, the nettle It would be defending itself It will also be defending the trees in the farm It is noon Yerepe, the nettle is ready to itch
2. Each person should use snail to appease his/her head. The appeasement should take place at the shrine of Esu or spot where Esu stands. The snail juice put on the head should be allowed to drop on Esu. Ebo should be made to repel any form of calamity and to draw fortunes near. Items of ebo here include thre cocks, three snails, palm oil, kola nuts, pap, money and gin. On this, Ifa says: Orunmila lo di ewu kee Ifa mi ewu a peyin da O ni ki won fi igbin bori Ki won fi bo orun Esu Ki ibi le peyin da Ki ire le de
Orunmila says this is a sign of danger Ifa says danger will turn back He said people should appease their heads with snail And put it on Esu So that misfortunes turn away To usher in fortunes.
3. Ifa says those who are experiencing difficulty of any type should not despair. Also, people who have attempted things without success should not be discouraged. According to this Ifa, success is assured this year. Those whose businesses have not been profitable will profit this year. Parents should not lose hope on their children who have been failures. Ifa says, this year, the incessant failures will give way for great success for the children. Items of ebo include 8 pigeons, honey, gin, pap, palm oil, personal used cloth and money. After making the ebo, the person will take the cloth to the forest, be naked and burn it. After burning that sacrificial cloth, he/she will dress up and go home. On this, Ifa says: Ori omo dara baba ko mo A difa fun Jegbe To n je ni oyikiti ise Lojo to n roko ode O perin erin di oke O pefon efon di apata O pa agbonrin, agbonrin di okiti ogan Won ni ko kara nile ebo ni ko se O gbebo nibe o rubo Jegbe gbesin dudu gun Jegbe gbesin pupa gun Jegbe gbesin funfun gun O ni riru ebo a maa gbeni Ka setutu a maa gbeniyan E ko rifa ti awo ki bo ti n se bi ala more Ibi ire laa bani lese kan Obarisa
A child is destined to be successful but not revealed to the father Ifa revelation to Jegbe Who was experiencing abject poverty When going on hunting He killed an elephant but the elephant turned into hill He killed a buffalo but the buffalo turned into rock He killed a deer but the deer turned to anthill He was advised to make ebo which he did Jegbe, choose black horse to ride Jegbe, choose red horse to ride Jegbe, choose white horse to ride He said making necessary sacrifice is always beneficial Making recommended rituals always profits one Can’t you see how Ifa Priests proclamations come to pass like dreams It is amidst fortunes we meet people at the feet of Obarisa
4. This year, women will triumph in every way. Women are in the best position to rescue the community from disasters. Ifa says all that men cannot accomplish for the community will be achieved by women. Every man should appease the head of his mother to overcome any kind of war be it physical or spiritual. If the mother is alive, it is necessary to also seek to know what she needs and get it for her. If she is late, appeasement is necessary. The items for the appeasement can be asked from Ifa. On this, Ifa says: Orunmila lo di ibi Jegbe Ifa mi ka ti bi Jegbe mu Ogbetua ki Ki eni ma baa ku ibo Ki eni ma baa ki oregede Oloori kan go Onibabatutu ekuru N la fii segun Oluretemogbo Oluretemogbo laa pe Oso Oluretemogbo laa pe Aje Oluretemogbo laa pe alawirin abenu kun kun kun Ogun ti okunrin jajaja ti ko le se Ti olobinrin lo se Ki o maa je ogun oniyenyetuye Ogun ti olokunrin tun jajaja ti ko le se Ti olobinrin tun lo se Ki o maa je ogun oniyenyetuye Arogbaja ni yeye Ogun je Ori yeye Ogun ni ba Ogun sete
Orunmila said this is like the issue of Jegbe Ifa said one should look into the odu of Ogbetura in relation to Jegbe So that such priest would not miss the divine message So that such priest would not be relaying irrelevant messages Corn meal with sour taste Ground and cooked beans destitute of pepper and palm oil Are what we use to overpower Oluretemogbo Oluretemogbo is the name we call Oso Oluretemogbo is the name we call Aje Oluretemogbo is the name we call those who backbite The war that a man fought without success Which a woman won successfully Should be referred to as oniyenyetuye war The war that a man fought without success Which a woman won successfully Should be referred to as oniyenyetuye war Ogun’s mother is called Arogbaja It is Ogun’s mother who always makes Ogun victorious
5. Ifa says people who have been alleged falsely will be vindicated. People with legal issues need to make ebo. The item of the ebo will include a he-goat, bush fowl (partridge), palm oil, big rat, gin, pap and money. On this, Ifa says: Kukute kuku awo eba ona A difa fun Aparo oyeye To n roko ailerelodun Mo mu un ra Mo mu un je Mo mu un ra laparo n ke
Kukute kuku awo eba ona Cast Ifa for Aparo (the Partridge) When going to the farm I have done this with impunity I have done this without being punished I have done this with impunity is the sound of Aparo, the Partridge
6. Ifa says this year, all the lost fortunes will be regained. Ifa says the lost glories of Yorubaland will be regained if all Oba in Yorubaland perform prescribed ebo and they turn unto and believe in the divine power of Orunmila. The items needed to make ebo include 8 pigeons, honey, gin, pap and money. On this, Ifa says: Otooto eyi ti n rajo Boo nile re kan ti ri na A difa fun Orunmila Lojo ire re sonu To n wa a ti ko ri i Ebo ni won ni ko se O gbebo nibe o rubo E wi fun Alara, e pe mo ri Ire E wi fun Ajero, e pe mo ri Ire E wi fun Owarangun, e pe mo ri Ire Ire to sonu, Ire ti de
An important person travelling How is the situation of his/her house? That was the Ifa declaration to Orunmila When he lost his fortunes And he was searching for them He was advised to make ebo He complied Tell king Alara, that I have regained my lost glories Let king Ajero be aware that I have seen the fortunes Inform king Owarangun, that I have regained my lost glories The lost glories, they have returned.
7. For those who are longing for the fruit of the womb, ebo should be made and Ifa appeased. On this, Ifa says: Orunmila hi itereitere Hi iteere mi teere Bara mi Agbonniregun O ni isu se teere, isu n ta Ato resereserese se teere si ikun omobinrin Abode e, oyun lo fi ni Abode e, Omo lo fi bi Won ni to ba je bii tomo eni Kin ni ka fi se e? Orunmila ni o di eni to ni ayebo adiye Ko fi bofa nibe Amo ti a gbo poko Omo loyele n ke pe
Orunmila says in a surprised way I say in a surprised Bara mi Agbonmiregun He said the yam in a surprised way produces tuber Ato, the sperm in a surprised way gets into the woman’s womb Later, she becomes pregnant Later, she gives birth to child People asked what if it is about somebody else What shall we do? Orunmila said the person should provide a hen And use it to appease Ifa We hear the sound of a hen It is chicks that are been called
8. Ifa advises people, especially the religious leaders, the priests and priestesses to increase their responsibility of gathering people. There should be more community temples. This year, people should focus more on doing things in group rather than individual. Also, people should refrain from whatever is capable of splitting members of temples, organisations or groups. On this, Ifa says: Ogbe teere ogbe ni Ogbe gogoro ogbe ni A difa fun Olomo Iworo Ti won ni ko wa kole Ifa jo Nje e momo kole Ifa jo Olomo Iworo! E momo kole Ifa Ifa jo
The slender Ogbe is Ogbe The tall Ogbe is also Ogbe Ifa revelation to Iworo, the priest Who was given the task of gathering worshippers Endeavor to gather devotees together Oh yee priests! Make sure you gather devotees together
9. For protection, heads of families need to play the proper roles of protecting the members of the families. Fathers should protect their wives and children. We should endeavor to get initiated into Ifa for protection. Each head of family should make sure the members of the family are initiated. Also, this year, head of the family should desist from praying alone. Any prayer before Ifa should be done together with all members of the family. On this, Ifa says: Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gorigo A difa fun Orunmila ti yoo mura re wogbo aiku Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gori A difa fun Orunmila ti yoo mu aya re wogbo aiku Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gori A difa fun Orunmila ti yoo mu omo re wogbo aiku Igbo aiku mo mura mi wo Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gori Igbo aiku mo maya miwo Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gori Igbo aiku mo momo mi wo Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gori.
Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gorigo Cast Ifa for Orunmila, he would enter the grove of longevity Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gorigo Cast Ifa for Orunmila, he would take the wives to the grove of longevity Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gorigo Cast Ifa for Orunmila, he would take his children to the grove of longevity Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gorigo It is grove of longevity I have entered Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gorigo It is grove of longevity I have taken my wives into Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gorigo It is grove of longevity I have taken my childen into Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gori Emi ni n gorigo Also, for those who are already sick, ebo should be made with a he-goat, big rat, palm oil, pap, an eda specie of rat and money. After the ebo, the rat will be used to touch every part of the body for three days and it will be put on Esu on the third day. On this, Ifa says: Irin to fin in lorun ope A difa fun Orunmila Baba maa fi edan eku paaro ara re Ewe onisana mi Kaka ki awo ku Awo a fi edan eku paaro ara re
Irin to fin in lorun ope Cast Ifa for Orunmila He would use a complete rat as a substitute to avert death for himself Here is onisana leaf Instead of a priest to die The priest will use a complete rat as a substitute
10. This year Ifa said we should be futuristic. Ifa advises us to always get involved in things that will profit us in the future, not to think of only the present gain. We should have plan for our futures. Our concern should be for our old age for individual. Also, for our communities, we should focus on developments in all areas such as education, economy, science and technology. This is needed to be able to meet future demands so that the community will not be lagging behind. Whatever we are doing today, we should be conscious of nemesis and refrain from anything that will have negative effect on us in the future. On this Ifa says: Emo ni fori gbonini jako Oya ni ko rumurumu wodo A difa fun Aaro A bu fun Ale Owuro mi ree Ale ni n toro Bale mi ba sunwon Ma dupedupe.
It is emo rat that puts its head forward passing through wet grasses in the bush It is grass cutter that enters the river awkwardly Ifa revelation for the Aaro (Morning/Early time) Ifa revelation for Ale (Evening/Later time) This is my early time I am praying for good future If my future is perfect I will be grateful
11. Ifa says people should stop false allegation against one another. In the palaces in Yoruba land, people have lied against Ifa Priests, Araba and Oluwo in particular. They have tarnished the image of priests/priestesses before the kings but Ifa will vindicate them. Also, people who are falsely alleged should make ebo to be vindicated. The items of ebo include the feathers of vulture, ground hornbill, osin bird, Ifa leaves and money. On this, Ifa says: Gbadiye sin n o gbadiye sin Ise oun iya ni mu won gbadiye agbako A difa fun Jegbe Tii somo Olojogbonloro Bomo o reru A mo ohun to n be ninu re A difa fun Jegbe Ti n ru aroko iku lo sode Oyo Oba jijin ni e jin Jegbe O mu igunnugun wa kaye oba o le baa gun o Oba jinjin ni e jin Jegbe Oba jijin ni e jin Jegbe O mu akalamogbo wa kaye oba o le baa kale Oba jinjin ni e jin Jegbe Oba jijin ni e jin Jegbe O mu osin gaga wa kaye oba o le baa gbosingbora Oba jinjin ni e jin Jegbe Oba jijin ni e jin Jegbe O mu ewe ape wa koba o le baa pe o Oba jinjin ni e jin Jegbe Oba jijin ni e jin Jegbe O mu ewe ela wa koba o le baa la Oba jinjin ni e jin Jegbe
Rear the chicken, I won't rear the chicken It is poverty that makes one rear the chicken for sharing Ifa revelation to Jegbe Who was a child of Olojogbonloro Whenever a child is going to deliver an item He/she must know the content of the item Ifa revelation to Jegbe When going to Oyo with a message of death Oba, you have to enrich Jegbe He brought the feathers of vulture for the king’s life to be straight Oba, you must enrich Jegbe Oba, you have to enrich Jegbe He brought the feathers of ground hornbill for the king’s life to be comfortable Oba, you must enrich Jegbe Oba, you have to enrich Jegbe He brought the feathers of osin bird for the king’s life to be full of wealth Oba, you must enrich Jegbe Oba, you have to enrich Jegbe He brought ape leaves for the king to live long Oba, you must enrich Jegbe Oba, you have to enrich Jegbe He brought ela leaves for the king to be rich Oba, you must enrich Jegbe
12. Honesty and righteousness should be taken as emblem for all devotees of Orisa. Ifa says people have abandoned the path of truth and they are now trekking the path of falsehood. Orunmila is advising us in this odu to refrain from lying and stick strictly to honesty and faithfulness. Ifa says though there might not be obvious repercussion for telling lies, people should fear the nemesis which will surely catch up with liars eventually. On this Ifa says: Puropuro kii ku Enu opuro kii seje Iro ti won ba pa laaro Ale ni to tu A difa fun Iro A bu fun Otito Won n raye apaaku Iro nikan ni n be leyin ti n sebo Otito diru o rorun Iro nikan ni n ko won leru kiri.
The liar does not die The liar’s mouth neither bleeds The lie told in the morning Will be exposed at night Ifa revelation to Iro, the lie Ifa revelation to Otito, the truth They were going to the world to live for ever It was only Iro, the lie who made the necessary ebo Otito, the truth has gone back to the spiritual realm It is only iro, the lie that is in the world destroying it
13. Ifa said, this year, we must make ebo not to record any premature death. Ifa said though enemies do not want many of the elders or leaders to live to witness next year, with recommended ebo, all the leaders and elders will witness next year. Also, we will lose none of the youths. Ebo is needed with a he-goat/three roosters, knife and yam. After making the ebo, we will use the knive to cut the yam vertically. On this, Ifa says: Olala awo Obe A difa fun Obe Obe se odun eyi tan Ota ni ko ni se omiran Ebo ni won ni ko se O gbebo nibe o rubo Olala iwo lawo Obe A se odun eyi tan A oo se ti emin-in Olala iwo lawo Obe
Olala, the priest of Obe, the knive Cast Ifa for Obe, the knive Obe, the knive witnessed this year The enemies said it would not witness the next year It was advised to make ebo It complied Olala, you are the priest of Obe, the knife We have witnessed this year We will surely witness the next year Olala, you are truly the priest of Obe, the knife
14. Orunmila has promised his children full protection in the world. Ifa says there are a lot of wars going on here and there. People will be affected but the children of Orunmila will be safe. On this, Ifa says: Ifa lo di fere Mo lo di sekedi Igba nla yi toko wale Ero Ijesa n pe ara Ijamo Owa gbo, Owa fawo ekun ko O di igba ekinni Won ni Olumoko ogun de Olumoko jade sita O logun o tii de O ni “emi o ri igunnugun lori igba” O ni “emi o ri akalamogbo lorun ose” O ni “edun ko ni ki n towo bepe” O ni “akuko adiye ko ni ki n gbe ase ogun geregere” O ni “aparo oyeye ko ni ki n palu ra” Olumoko wole Nigba to di isogba eketa Won ni Olumoko ogun de O ri igunnugun lori igba O ri akalamogbo lorun ose Edun ni ko towo bepe Akuko adiye ni ko gbe ase ogun geregere Aparo oyeye ni ki o palu ra Olumoko wa binu fada yo O pagba eni sotun-un O pa igba eni si osi O pa igba eni si aarin gbungbun O ni Ifa mo pon leyin re, gbendere Orunmila mo pon leyin re gbendere Ale eku n be leyin omo eku Ale eja n be leyin eja Ale Ikin n be leyin omo Ikin Ifa mo pon leyin re gbendere Orunmila mo pon leyin re gbendere Iku laja Iwo Orunmila lekun Aja kii jamo leyin ekun laelae
Ifa lo di fere Mo lo di sekedi Big calabash has rolled home from the farm People from Ijesa are calling on people from Ijamo Owa, the king heard and hanged the leopard skin The first time They informed Olumoko that there was war Olumoko came out He said the war has not come He said “I have not seen vulture on the locust bean tree” He said “I have not seen ground horn bill on the baobab tree” He said “no monkey has told me to deep hand into the war bag” He said “the cock has not told me to bring out war charms” He said “the bush fowl has not told me to destroy the world” Olumoko went in The third time They said Olumoko, war has come Olumoko came out He saw vulture on the locust bean tree He saw ground horn bill on the baobab tree He heard monkey telling him to deep hand into his war bag He heard cock telling him to bring out war charms He heard bush fowl telling him to destroy the world Olumoko then in anger drew his cutlass He killed two hundred people on the right side He killed two hundred people on the left side He killed two hundred people at the middle He said Ifa, I lean unto you Orunmila, I lean unto you The protector of the rat is always there for the rat The protector of the fish is always there for the fish The protector of the devotee of Ikin is always there for the devotee of Ikin Ifa, I lean unto you Orunmila, I lean unto you Death is the dog Orunmila, you are the leopard No dog can snatch child from a leopard
15. A lot of gin should be sacrifice to Egbe Orun for divine help. Leaders should be generous to the followers for being stingy will make the latter run away from the former when the former need the latter most. People should not be self-centered for this act will lead to nothing but unpopularity and failure. On this, Ifa says: Eruwa susu awo eba ona A difa fun Igun A difa fun Akala A difa fun tentere A difa fun Elegiiri ti somo ikeyin won Won figba oke fun Igun Igun fowo re ra iyan Oun nikan soso lo fi je Won figba oke fun Akala Akala fowo re ra oka Oun nikan soso lo fi je Won figba oke fun Tentere Tentere fowo re ra eko Oun nikan soso lo fi je Won figba oke fun Elegiiri Elegiiri fowo re ra oti O fun egbe aye mu O fun egbe orun mu Igi kan ya dina lerin Ko je ki elerin o le roko Won ranse si Igun Igun jiyanjiyan ko lee gbegi Won ranse si Akala Akala jekajeka ko le gbegi Won ranse si Tentere Tentere jekojeko ko le gbegi Won ranse si Elegiiri Egbe aye e ba mi gbegi Egbe orun e ba mi gbegi Elegiiri, eeyan tii logun
Eruwa susu awo eba ona Cast Ifa for Igun Cast Ifa for Akala Cast Ifa for Tenntere Cast Ifa for Elegiiri, the youngest of them Igun was given two hundred thousand shillings Igun used it to buy pounded yam It consumed it alone Akala was given two hundred thousand shillings Akala used it to buy yam flour meal It consumed it alone Tentere was given two hundred thousand shillings Tentere used it to buy corn meal It consumed it alone Elegiiri was given two hundred thousand shillings Elegiiri used it to buy gin It shared it with worldly friends It shared it with spiritual comrades A tree fell and blocked the road at Erin It restricted the movement of all including the king They invited Igun Igun consumed a lot of pounded yam but could not move the tree They invited Akala Akala consumed a lot of yam flour meal but could not move the tree They invited Tentere Tentere consumed a lot of corn meal but could not move the tree They invited Elegiiri My physical friends, kindly help me to move the tree My spiritual friends, kindly help me to move the tree Here comes Elegiiri, so war is better fought with a lot of warriors.
16. Ifa says we should not look down on any person. We should think more of quality and not the quantity in our endeavours this year. The divine strength of individuals should be our focus not our human strength. Ifa says we should all ask for blessings from Orunmila and not be overconfident. Ifa says the blessed people should not think it is because of their wisdom or perfection because Olodumare is the one who gives blessings. On this, Ifa says:
Akoko ni olori gbena gbena eye ninu oko Ire ni amungun kokoro A difa fun Mo-le-kogun awo ile Alara A difa fun Mo-le-kogbon awo oke Ijero A difa fun Mo-le-kaadota awo Epa tooro mofe A difa fun Egbe-Ope Tii se omo ikehin won lenje lenje Ebo ni won ni ki won o jo se Egbe-Ope ni n be leyin to n tubo Kee pe o kee jina e wa bani ni jebutu ire Jebutu ire laa bani lese Oba Orisa.
Akoko is the head of wood carvers among the birds Ire is the head of soil borer among the insects Cast Ifa for I-can-recite-twenty-Ifa-verses, the priest of Alara Cast Ifa for I-can-recite-thirty-Ifa-verses, the priest of Ijero Cast Ifa for I-can-recite-fifty-Ifa-verses, the priest of epa tooro mofe Cast Ifa for Egbe-Ope The youngest and most junior among four of them They were asked to perform sacrifice It was only Egbe-Ope that performed his own sacrifice Not far, not long, we shall rejoice It is in joyous condition we meet at the feet of the king of Orisa.
AFFILIATED ORISA Esu Orunmila Egbe Orun Yeye Eni
TABOOS Don't tell lies Don't eat grass cutter Don't be stingy
Verses recorded, transcribed and translated by: Oluwo (Dr.) Fayemi Fatunde Fakayode (Chairman, Publication Committee) Chief (Dr.) Abiodun Fafolarin Agboola (Adviser) Babaawo Fayemi Abidemi Fakayode Oloye Fakayode Olanipekun Oloye Fatunbi Adeniji
Aboru! Aboye! Abosise!